How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Parkside, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Busy Box Program: Our Busy Box Program involves putting items of different shapes, colours, textures and uses such as yarn, tools, music and colourful lighting in a box to engage and stimulate our residents living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Pub Night: Every second Friday is Pub Night when residents relax and socialize over a maximum of 2 drinks.
- Green Day: Every Friday during football season is Green Day when we all wear green in support of the Roughriders.
- Humane Society Visits: Once a month the Humane Society brings dogs and cats from their shelter to visit with our residents.
- Intergenerational Program: Twice a month, our Intergenerational Program brings elementary school students into our home to spend time with residents.
- Seated Exercise Class: We have daily, seated exercise classes that focus on range of motion, strength, balance and flexibility.
- Live Entertainment: Once a week we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
- Game Day: Every day is Game Day with residents enjoying bingo, board games, dice games, cards and more.
- Gardening Group: Our Gardening Group plants flowers and vegetables in raised planters around the patio
- Java Club: Once a week the Java Club meets to reminisce about music and experiences from their past.
- Supper/Lunch Club: Once a month, the Supper/Lunch Club brings residents together to either prepare a meal from scratch or order in favourites like pizza, Chinese Food and KFC.
- Crafting Program: We have a once weekly Crafting Program.
- Movie Night: Movie Night, complete with popcorn, is always popular.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Wash n’ Fold: Every morning a group gets together to fold towels, facecloths, dinner napkins and other linens.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Recreational Therapist